We have been fans of The Portobello Bookshop long before opening S&G Porty, so we are delighted we now get to collaborate with them with our Bookclub.
Alongside Portobello Books we will be bringing you a series of brilliant reads, beautiful wines and seasonal cheese hosted in Smith & Gertrude Portobello once a month.
The Wine & Cheese Book Club will be hosted in our back room space in Portobello by Kira from Portobello Books.
The cost of your ticket includes the following:
- A copy of that months quite brilliant book club book (available to be collected from Portobello Books as soon as you have booked)
- A glass of wine on arrival to help get the conversation started
- Cheese. Lots of cheese to keep the discussion flowing
For March we have selected Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov
In Time Shelter, an enigmatic flaneur named Gaustine opens a 'clinic for the past' that offers a promising treatment for Alzheimer's sufferers: each floor reproduces a decade in minute detail, transporting patients back in time. As Gaustine's assistant, the unnamed narrator is tasked with collecting the flotsam and jetsam of the past, from 1960s furniture and 1940s shirt buttons to scents and even afternoon light. But as the rooms become more convincing, an increasing number of healthy people seek out the clinic as a 'time shelter', hoping to escape from the horrors of our present - a development that results in an unexpected conundrum when the past begins to invade the present.
- Unfortunately we can not offer any refunds on book club tickets
- As the Book Club is extremely popular we are limiting the group size to 12 and we are also limiting ticket sales to 2 per person please. Thank you.