We are incredibly excited to be starting our wonderful Wine & Cheese Book Club in Portobello with Portobello Books! We have been fans of The Portobello Bookshop long before opening S&G Porty, so we are delighted we now get to collaborate with them with our new Bookclub.
Alongside Portobello Books we will be bringing you a series of brilliant reads, beautiful wines and seasonal cheese hosted in Smith & Gertrude Portobello once a month.
The Wine & Cheese Book Club will be hosted in our back room space in Portobello by Kira from Portobello Books, who is incredibly excited about the first three books we've all picked!
The cost of your ticket includes the following:
- A copy of that months quite brilliant book club book (available to be collected from Portobello Books as soon as you have booked)
- A glass of wine on arrival to help get the conversation started
- Cheese. Lots of cheese to keep the discussion flowing
For April we have selected The Selfless Act of Breathing by JJ Bola
Michael Kabongo is a British-Congolese teacher living in London on the cusp of two identities. On paper, he seems to have it all: He’s beloved by his students, popular with his coworkers, and the pride and joy of a mother who emigrated from the Congo to the UK in search of a better life. But behind closed doors, he’s been struggling with the overwhelming sense that he can’t address the injustices he sees raging before him—from his relentless efforts to change the lives of his students for the better to his attempts to transcend the violence and brutality that marginalizes young Black men around the world.
Then one day he suffers a devastating loss, and his life is thrown into a tailspin. As he struggles to find a way forward, memories of his fathers’ violent death, the weight of refugeehood, and an increasing sense of dread threaten everything he’s worked so hard to achieve. Longing to escape the shadows in his mind and start anew, Michael decides to spontaneously pack up and go to America, the mythical “land of the free,” where he imagines everything will be better, easier—a place where he can become someone new, someone without a past filled with pain.
On this transformative journey, Michael travels everywhere from New York City to San Francisco, partying with new friends, sparking fleeting romances, and splurging on big adventures, with the intention of living the life of his dreams until the money in his bank account runs out.
- we will happily refund any tickets purchased at least 1 month prior to the event date. Any refunds for cancellations made with less than a months notice will be based solely on us being able to re-sell the ticket.
- we're expecting the Book Club to be extremely popular and because we are limiting the group size to 12 we are also limiting ticket sales to 2 per person please.