We are incredibly excited to be starting our wonderful Wine & Cheese Book Club in Portobello with Portobello Books! We have been fans of The Portobello Bookshop long before opening S&G Porty, so we are delighted we now get to collaborate with them with our new Bookclub.
Alongside Portobello Books we will be bringing you a series of brilliant reads, beautiful wines and seasonal cheese hosted in Smith & Gertrude Portobello once a month.
The Wine & Cheese Book Club will be hosted in our back room space in Portobello by Kira from Portobello Books, who is incredibly excited about the first three books we've all picked!
The cost of your ticket includes the following:
- A copy of that months quite brilliant book club book (available to be collected from Portobello Books as soon as you have booked)
- A glass of wine on arrival to help get the conversation started
- Cheese. Lots of cheese to keep the discussion flowing
To kick us off in February we have selected How We Are Translated by Jessica Gaitan Johannesson
Do you ever feel like you're not speaking the same language? Swedish immigrant Kristin won't talk about her pregnancy. Her Brazilian-born Scottish boyfriend Ciaran won't speak English at all; he is trying to immerse himself in a sprakbad or 'language bath', covering their Edinburgh apartment in post-it notes to teach himself Swedish. As this young couple is forced to confront the thing that they are both avoiding, they must reckon with the bigger questions of the world outside, and their places in it.
- we will happily refund any tickets purchased at least 1 month prior to the event date. Any refunds for cancellations made with less than a months notice will be based solely on us being able to re-sell the ticket.
- we're expecting the Book Club to be extremely popular and because we are limiting the group size to 12 we are also limiting ticket sales to 2 per person please.